Author Topic: bow backing  (Read 7956 times)

troutbum76

bow backing
« on: December 17, 2008, 03:24:05 pm »
I am attempting to make my first bow. Am using red oak and basically sticking to a plan that i found on the net by sam harper. my question is can the bow be backed with a synthetic fabric that is similar to silk. on the site he uses drywall tape and don;t mind doing that but found some fabric that i would like to use that seems very similar to silk. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow backing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 03:32:01 pm »
You can use any material for backing. One reason folks use silk and linen is because they are thin, light weight and strong. I have heard of some using heavy nylon for backing. It will help keep your bow together but you are adding excess weight(physical) to the limbs which will slow them down and add some hand shock. 
   TiteBond glues are good for adding cloth backings.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:34:25 pm »
There's an old bowyer at the local archery shop and he told me long ago.    "there are no rules"

whenever i ask myself could I do that,  I answer for him.   there are no rules. 

give er a go

ravenbeak
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:24:32 pm »
yup you can use just about anything,just dont use that starts with an "f"
thats  a no no

goodluck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Badbill

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:08:53 pm »
Try going to Wal-mart they have a lot of upholstery fabrics, and such, that have real neat patterns. Just don't pick any of the ones I want to try.  J/K ;D Good luck.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:34:41 pm »
badbill, if you get down by the twin cities they have a fabric outlet down there.with more fabric types and patterns than one could imagine.
they have so much that they done even know everything they have.
they even have leather,upholstery type mostly so its thinner.but they do get it in fairly large sheets and differant type like ostrich etc. check it out they are bound to have a pattern that know one else has ever used
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:16:12 pm »
 wqell, all ican say is that with oak, from my experiences, definetly, definitly back it- i'm a big burlap user, and have never used silk, but I thnk the reason sam harper used drywall tape is because it is very obtainable-thats just my two cents though. good luck -jimmy
.p.s theres a good plan on vintageprojects.com, and the ferret has a real good plan in case sam's plans arent in depth enough- thats what happened to meh.
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:34:05 pm »
Burlap is good stuff and so are silk and linen. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

330bull

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:48:40 am »
Repeat after me, in a "chanting, cheery, tone"...

...CHER-RY Bark!  CHER-RY Bark!   CHER-RY Bark!  CHER-RY Bark!   CHER-RY Bark!  CHER-RY Bark!   CHER-RY Bark!  CHER-RY Bark!!!!

Nothing is cooler  8)  if you ask me!

Joe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 01:00:53 am »
Hey Joe, does this look familiar? This is the cherry bark you sent me but I left the lichen growth on it. Makes a great backing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Badbill

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:16:12 am »
Shouldn't that be "Chanting in a Cherry tone" ;D

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:40:12 am »
I just use cotton- it's really cheap :).

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 12:03:09 pm »
Pat...thats just too cool, gonna hafta get me some of that....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 12:30:40 pm »
One reason not to use the mesh drywall tape is its just plain old ugly, I would use brown paper before that stuff.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 12:40:49 pm »
I am with Dana on this one. For the price of a pack of Knox gelatin, you can back a bow with sinew. Get the deer tendons free from your local game processor (should still have some?) for nothing then all it costs is time. It's definitely not hard. Some think it is ugly. Others, like me, think it's the coolest thing in the world. Your bow is half plant, half animal, and all natural. Dave
NW Montana