Author Topic: Beech board bow?  (Read 4996 times)

darren1968

Beech board bow?
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:27:58 pm »
Hi all. Can anyone tell me if Beech can be used for board bow building. Secondly, what is the difference between a Flat bow and a Board bow? are they not the same thing? 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Beech board bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:35:57 pm »
Sure if you can find straight grained boards. A board bow can be a flatbow. My site has board info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:38:21 am »
Darren, I started a Beech bow a month or so ago.......took a cut off one side to make the pyramid shape.   I bent the off cut to see what I could expect of the bow and BANG!!   The bending and failure characteristics of the offcut, and the shape of the splinters convinced me to use the rest of the bow blank for wooden spoons.    If you make a beech bow, then only flex and shoot the darned thing if you have a hard had and full face protection!!

piper

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:42:01 am »
I'd back the first one. Someone got a baord from what they thought was hronbeam- good tough wood whatever it was- but left  it unbacked. Like islandpiper- BANG. A simple backing would have held it and left one wicked bow I'm sure.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:36:19 pm »
Beech should work fine if its a decent board, you back it and make sure the design is right. I wouldn't do a pyramid limb.
I think keeping the limbs 2" wide and  parrallel for a min 2/3rds the length then tapering to the nocks would be a better design.
Also keep the length at a min of 68" for a 28" draw length.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline son of massey

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:10 pm »
   beech-like most anything else-can  be used to make bows, and it is even less bad than some other materials.   however i wouldnt expect to be able to push the material all that far as its limits are, well, limiting.   i have made a beech bow or two but stuck with reasonably low draw weights as the heavier bows i tried crushed their own bellies.   the lesson i took from that is that it is very important to have a great tiller on a beech bow or the slightest hinge crysal, crush, and break.   i wouldnt suggest it for a first bow.  backed it may be alright, but as the belly is the weak point even backing it may not be a silver bullet.   you could always just to try and see what happens or make one or two other board bows of at least similar dimensions to nail the design characteristics and then give it a go. SOM

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 07:21:56 pm »
Darren,

I hope you will go ahead and make a bow of beech. I have been wondering about it for a long time and have yet to see pictures of a beech bow.

Go for it!

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine