Author Topic: New to Forum and Questions  (Read 6100 times)

TSalmon

Re: New to Forum and Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 05:22:06 pm »
Thanks, everyone. And thanks for all of the pictures. Every picture I see helps me learn a little more. David, that "character" bow you made is beautiful. My stave doesn't have that much character though. Actually, it's pretty boring compared to that one.

Question: I'm pretty much going to let the wood design itself, but there is one thing that I do want; a handle narrower and deeper than the limbs. I never see pictures of yew bows like this. Is there a structural reason for this or are people just trying to keep with the ELB theme?

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 05:33:41 pm »
You can make the handle as you describe. You should get the Traditional Boyers Bibles 1 through 4 if you can. Definitive references that will answer many, many questions. Boring can be good in a piece of wood man  ;). Try Mountain Maple, it grows in your area too and makes really great bows. When I get so frustrated with yew I can't stand it I go to Mountain Maple and always enjoy it too. Much cleaner and consequently easier. Dave
NW Montana

TSalmon

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 05:48:08 pm »
Mountain maple, as in rocky mountain maple? What are some other good tree or shrub species in my area that would be suitable?

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 11:27:45 pm »
Yessir, Rocky Mountain Maple (Acer glabrum) Grows nice and straight and is very pleasant to work. Dave
NW Montana