Author Topic: Oven Cleaner on Osage  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Oven Cleaner on Osage
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »
Anyone used this trick before? I tried it for the first time last week and after a few days it really does look like my bows that are 10 years old. I hope it doesn't have any ill affect on the wood. I am saving the pictures for when I am done with the bow. All I like is a few coats of Tru Oil and a handle wrap and she'll be done. If you have pictures of one you have used the oven cleaner on please post them.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Oven Cleaner on Osage
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:55:32 pm »
 I use it when I'm trying to degrease for glueing or sinew backing. Another good one is bug and tar remover from the auto parts store. It works good on Ipe also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:06 pm »
No, I never used it but I watched my wife use it on ann oven once. :)  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:21:45 pm »
I stay away from oven cleaner.   No adjustment of the mix is possible.  I use plain lye, cheaper and very adjustable in terms of mix concentration.  First, read this, and recite: I WILL ALWAYS KEEP EYE PROTECTION ON, I WILL WEAR GLOVES, I WILL KEEP WHITE VINEGAR HANDY TO NEUTRALIZE THE BASE, LYE!!!   

I have been using lye for years, to color cherry, oak and a variety of woods.   Works great on osage.   Don't want to buy or use lye?  then mix some fireplace ashes with water, that works great.  Where do you think lye soap came from? 

Posted below are pics of an osage stick i was playing with and broke.  So, prime chance to mess with dangerous chemicals.  The first pics show the wood untreated. In others the test spot is shown next to the untreated spots.  Note: the longer you leave it on, or the stronger it is, the darker your wood gets.  When you like it, rinse it, and use vinegar to stop it, then rinse again.  This is not a dry process.  You must neutralize the chemical, no matter what you use, or it wil continue to "work". 

The last pic shows where I steel-scraped off some of the old tung oil finish.  Actually, that part is pretty.  Leads me to think that you could oil a bow, scrape some off and then color it. 

Hope that helps.......WEAR EYE PROTECTION.  LYE DAMAGE TO THE CORNEAS IS PERMANANTLY BLINDING.  CORNEAL TRANSPLANTS ARE THE ONLY CURE.  I HAVE HAD TWO OF THEM.......   WEAR EYE PROTECTION.   piper

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:46:08 pm »
Thanks Piper, I do wear eye protection and a mask when using chemicals. Thanks for warning though. I know a lot of people who don't.

So should i neutralize the oven cleaner with vinegar? It's the color I want it now and I don't want it to continue to darken.
I've heard guys talk about doing this but never seen it done so I'm experimenting here.
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:51:17 pm »
Yeah John....wipe it down with a rag soaked in Straight Vinegar....then wash it off with water...because the Vinegar is Acidic
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:59:21 pm »
Thanks Mike.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:02:45 pm »
Just to be safe....and develop the color slowly.......try some wood ashes in water, strained.  That's the more PRIMITIVE  thing as well.  Just walk over to the neighbor's house where they have a fireplace and tell the lady you'd like to haul her ashes and see how long it takes her to get the shotgun from behind the door!   :) :) :)

Seriously......the best colors I have ever gotten on Cherry Dulcimers was with wood ash solution.  piper

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 01:47:12 am »
Oven cleaner? What would Ishi say?
Hmm. I've got to remind my wife to pick up my new bandsaw blade this week.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 09:07:25 am »
Oldbow, I thought the same thing. I wish I had found out about the ashes first. I'll try that next time.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:11:28 am »
Clorox works the same a lye and isn't as dangerous to work with.