Author Topic: Osage finished[Finely]  (Read 18207 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Osage finished[Finely]
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:41:32 am »
I know yall are probably getting tired of this one ,but now it's done.It actually started in 02.
We cut a couple trees that just seemed special,they were dark wood and very dense,They
had fairly tight growth rings and some character,just like I like it.I have made 3 bows from it and
they all turned out to be good shooter and very durable.I roughed out the bow in 06 and
straightened and reflexed in early 08 so to say it is well seasoned is an understatement. I made
this on a little heaver than I usually do in anticipation of a hunt out west and wanted a little more weight.I have also always wanted a copperhead bow but it seemed like every time I would get one,before I would get a match I would give the one I had away to someone that already had one.Thanks to Greg and Sawfiler,they felt sorry for me and each gave me one.One was a little bigger but if you weren't told you probably wouldn't notice.The bow is 62 tip-tip 60 n-n.It is 1 1/2 in. to about mid limb then tapper to ,well small. ;) It is 55@26 and the tip overlays and made from deer
leg bone split and worked down.I like the way that turned out.Looks like Ivory,Shannon/Greg
talked me into thinning them down some and I am glad I did.Also with the natural hook in the wood and just a little filing it is almost center shot and will shoot almost any arrow I have. Hope yall like it.
O ya almost forgot I flipped the last 6 inches of the tips,as yall know I do that a lot. ;) :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
Re: Osage finished[Finely]
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:44:48 am »
GregB done the photo opt.Thanks Greg.  ;) :) :) A few more.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:46:04 am »
Full draw.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:09:05 am »
Looks like a natural born killer Pappy, them skins sure are purty :) Well done eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Ranger B

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:13:11 am »
Beautiful bow Pappy.  I got to see a great Bowyer take his time and get it right with that one.  Very nice work.

Offline wytetale

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:52:08 am »
Thats a real beauty

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 08:14:56 am »
I'm partial to copperhead skins, and those really look great on Pappy's bow. The leg bone tips are nice and sleek and add a nice touch. Pappy as usual did a great job on the tillering and the bow really performs well. I know I'm repeating myself Pappy, but I think it is some of your very best work! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:06:39 am »
Beautiful bow Pappy. Paitence really does pay off, don't it.
You really have your deer trained well to hold a bow for ya.lol ;D

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 10:28:49 am »
She's a real beauty Pappy. I love the braced, unbraced and full draw pics. The bone tips and copperhead skins look good. Beware of brown thrashers while you are hunting. I had one run me out of my tree stand 2 nights in a row :o before I realized it was the copperhead it was after.  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 10:52:35 am »
 looks like a very nice job pappy!!! tiller looks real good  noticed  ya  got a lil still back in that pic haha is that a still or  ur black smithin forge  ?? ha  brock  ;D

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:07:47 am »
sweet!!  you did a great job with those skins.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 11:10:55 am »
That turned out sweet Pappy! I'm with Greg, thats the nicest bow I've seen you make. Congrats!  8)
One tip on the picture taking though...try to get a solid background behind you for the full draw as its very hard to judge the tiller with all that stuff in the background.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:00:53 pm by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 11:14:15 am »
That's fantastic, Pappy. What a great looking bow. Excellent tiller too.  Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 11:35:14 am »
Very nice bow Pappy! Maybe Greg can steer another deer to you to break it in officially :D. Don't leave it laying on the ground,it looks like it might slither away ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Bowbound

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 12:13:21 pm »
Wow, super nice bow. Just what i expected from you! ;D