Author Topic: Black Locust  (Read 4813 times)

Offline ricochet

• HOWDY FROM TEXAS
Black Locust
« on: December 11, 2008, 07:33:58 pm »
howdy ya'll i have just recently purchased a black locust stave off of e-bay last night. what i want to know is this wood difficult to work with and do i need to back it with boo,sinew.rawhide,or anything else.can this wood be used for a good hunting bow without backing?should the bow be short or long and should the limbs be wide? i have not broke out my books yet to read on it so thats next. thanks ya'll
                                                     Brian
God fearing and lovin backwoodsman

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:00:46 pm »
Black locust is a great bow wood.  I would chase a ring as if making an osage bow.  It dosn't need a backing as long as you don't violate the growth ring.  Follow the dimensions for an 'sage bow but a bit wider is my suggestion.  Keeping it on the longer side. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:54:25 am »
What Rick said is what I have found right. :) I have about 3 and they are good performers. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:31:31 am »
Haven't worked it yet but from what I've heard its not as forgiving as osage and will fret fairly easily so my advice is start long and wide,
and always make sure the limbs are bending egually and evenly. Once the everything is bending evenly the width and length can be reduced as needed
during the final tillering.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:40:12 am »
What everybody else said. If you're going with a stiff-handled bow, about 1 5/8" is a pretty good width. I have found if I make the limbs too wide and therefore thin with locust, it's easier to wind up with a hinging spot that wants to chrysal. Locust make a great long, narrow, D-bow also.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 11:35:16 am »
I just completed a nice flat bow with Locust. I found it to be almost identical with hedge, but still like Hedge better. Chasin the ring seems to be a little more difficult. But it accepted the dimensions I gave it and turned out around 52# @ 67" long with a 28 1/2" DL. In fact I found it to be one of my sweetest shooters and eneded up using it for the majority of deer huntin season. Very pleasent little bow

Offline ricochet

• HOWDY FROM TEXAS
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 05:07:49 pm »
thanks for the feedback guys, now i'm just waiting for the stave to get here, i just hope its not too green.i'm kinda impatient and want to get started soon. i do have to finish my "exotic wood" ELB first. thank again and if anyone else has feedback please drop a line.
God fearing and lovin backwoodsman

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 06:10:41 pm »
Be careful not to get your limbs to thin to quick and really check the tiller constantly to make sure your not getting any hinges or crystaling.

Robb
live each day the best you can

PeteDavis

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 09:03:34 pm »
If I were to cut out some locust staves, what is an acceptable drying time for them?

PD

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 10:27:06 pm »
i am not sure,as i have yet to cut my own.however i have aheard one year dry time for every inch of thickness.
you can take the stave down to ruff bow demensions and clamp  it to a 2x4 to keep it straight untill dry,that is  supposed to be quicker.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 11:20:34 pm »
I asked the wood specialty shop where I buy my staves, and they told me that you can make a bow from a black locust stave after 1 year as long as it is kept completely dry. I keep mine ine the house after the bark is off to make sure their are no bugs.
live each day the best you can

Offline richpierce

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 07:09:03 pm »
I get rid of the bark and glue the ends and the back of the split staves and let it dry outside under cover for at least 3 months.  Then I'll bring it inside (unheated "mud room") for a month or so.  Then I'll remove sapwood and get it to near bow dimensions with the hatchet.  Then re-seal it and let it sit a month.  At this point it is safe to make it into a bow and not get much visible checking.  Stave should "ring" when you thump the end down on concrete.  I hurried one and got longitudinal splits but no worries, it is holding up fine.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 07:12:25 pm »
The ends should be sealed and if you remove the bark seal the back too. I'd use poly. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 09:40:03 pm »
I started one a while back and had a really tough time distinguishing between rings, but osage with thin rings I found easy.  go figure, I even tried wetting it.  Maybe it was the poor lighting in my shop...good luck, I may have chased rings to the point of no return on mine, but it's all over S. Idaho like a weed:)  so I need to get those rings figured out..
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 09:30:18 am »
The drying time depends more on the dimensions and where you're drying it than any specific amount of time. A big stave sitting in a damp shed may not be dry after five years, but a roughed-out bow brought into the heated house or kept in a hotbox may be ready in two or three months (or less). Like others have said, locust is really bad to check, so seal the back and ends. Cheap wood glue or Elmer's works well.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.