Author Topic: Can I still heat treat? Update  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Don

Can I still heat treat? Update
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:22:19 pm »
Made a hickory bow awhile back and backed it with linen. [posted pictures at the time].
I'm thinking I should have heat treated it. It has about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" set.
Can I still or will I lose the backing?
Will I even gane anything by heating it?
I also want to put a little back bend in the limbs [reflex or is it deflex?] to get alittle better cast.
The tillering came out realy well. One thing about this bow is it has narrow limbs, 1 1/4" @ fades.
So it may be as good as it gets.
72" TtT #50@28"

Thanks Don
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:19:46 am by Don »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can I still heat treat?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:59:40 pm »
If you used TB glue for the backing it will release if it gets to 150deg(F). You may loose the backing but you can add another if so. Depends on how much set(damaged belly cells) you have already but you can add a bit of backset and heat treat the belly and gain a few pounds and it may reduce the set a bit. For hickory, 1 1/4" is a bit narrow but you have the 72" to help reduce the stress.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Don

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:22:17 am »
Thanks Pat.
The backing will be easy to replace.
I also have some other hickory so I may just build another and treat some back set into that one.
Also go a bit shorter and a bit wider.
Not sure yet on this one. It shoots pretty good I'd just like it to have a bit more punch.
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:25:42 am »
If you plan to build another, I'd leave that one as it is and start on the other. If you don't like that bow the way it is, give it to somebody.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:26:49 am »
We've gotten to where we're adding reflex right after floor tillering, the just a few inches shy of final tiller putting the bow back on the form again and heat treating. This seems to really enhance the performance without much risk to the bow.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 11:11:09 pm »
Don,you can still temper the belly.(Although you might have to re-finish)Just clamp it in reflex,and mind where you point your heat gun.If the glue does melt,just remove the backing and re-apply.It will help a good bit to temper.I just finished an eastern hophornbeam with the same problem.While shooting it in,it took 2 1/2" of set.I clamped it to a form,heat treated it,then tweaked the tiller.(It did'nt phase my silk backing).I gained all my weight back,plus it is faster than before it set.So I would say get after it.  God Bless
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:58:28 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Don

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 08:14:26 pm »
Thanks for the replys.
I'll have to make a form but I think I'll give it a try if I can find some time.

Don

Offline Don

Re: Can I still heat treat? Update
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 01:26:23 am »
I decided to put some reflex in this bow.
I made a form to put in about 2" from fades to tips.
I've clamped at fade then heated and camped down the limb as I go towards the tips.

How long should I leave on the form?
After I remove do I need to temper the limbs again, got them pretty hot this time.
Will I need to retiller after limbs have had time to set?

Thanks Don

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 01:56:15 am »
Don, retillering after heat treating can have a lot to do with how evenly you heat treated, you might want to give the bow time to rehydrate a bit if your climate is not that dry. Before reltileirng it is a good idea to excersize the bow pretty good at shorter draw length just to shake off some of that initial stiffness it puts in. I have had bows gain as much as 20# and others gain as little as 5#. My hickory doesn't usually gain as much as some woods and seems to loose a lot of it once rehydrated to my local MC. You will have to judge yourself if it needs retillering but don't make the decision to quick. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 01:58:56 am »
Don, you can unclamp tomorrow. If the belly is brown then it is tempered.
 I will straighten in one session and then temper in another. Two different processes in my book although you could do both in one session I guess.
   Tempering is not necessary. I haven't tested but by tempering you may make hickory less hygroscopic(meaning taking on moisture and releasing moisture to the atmosphere) and if you are in a humid area this could be a plus.

Offline Don

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 02:19:56 am »
I'll remove this one limb tommorrow night and do the other limb.

I'm in Iowa. Tonight it is in the single digits. And not much moisture in the air this time of year.
I'm guessing maybe I should leave it set for maybe a week so it can adjust its moisture?

As far as heating and limb color. It got pretty hot [couldn't hold your hand on it] and just started to turn color.
So may not need to temper. Do you think?

Don