Author Topic: new hickery  (Read 3208 times)

Offline robbsbass

new hickery
« on: December 10, 2008, 01:34:11 pm »
Hi guys

Need some of your suggestions again, I have my hickery stave, and it is straight, I would like about 55# with a 4 1/2 inch handle tell me where to go from there and how to get reflex.

thanx
     Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: new hickery
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:14:58 pm »
Depending on your draw length, I wouldn't go over 66"ntn, and probably not under 62"ntn...although you can obviously add or subtract from that. I would probably prefer a pyramid style in hickory starting 1-1/2" long fades and limb width at 1-1/2" down to 3/8" tips.

We've used both steam and dry heat successfully with hickory to add reflex using a caul. If using dry heat, we usually will lightly rub the both down with cooking oil prior to reflexing. With steam, first seal the floor tillered bow with tung oil or similar prior to steaming. This will eventually get sanded off during the finishing process. Sealing it first helps prior to steaming the bow helps it hold heat better according to Gary Davis.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »
you can do anything with hickory.  kinda like osage.  this is what i would do.  66" ntn, 4.5 handle, 2 " fades, 1.5" wide at the fades and straight taper to .5 inch nocks.  start you limb thickness at 3/4 "  (i use the torges method of tiller)  and establish facets.  then bring it to floor tiller.  finall tiller it to about 2-3 lbs under your intended draw weight, then temper the belly.  i use my gas grill and heat the belly for about 7-9 minutes on med heat.  be careful not scorch.  a little is ok it looks great when you sand it and stain.  that will bring the draw weight back up as much as 5 lbs. then finish out as normal.  this is an abbreivated version so ask lots of questions.  you'll get there.  good luck

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:08:48 am »
I would go 66 tip to tip that would be about 64 n-n 4 1/2 handle ,I usually go 4 in. handle
and 1 1/2 fads.[I don't do the Torges method]  ;) I would go 1 3/4 at the fads and tapper
to about 3/8 at the tip.You can narrow them down a little later after you have it tillered.
I would rough the limb thickness to about 5/8 to start with,this is a pyramid style and the limb thickness will stay close to the same along the limb.It will thin some but the limb tapper
will take care of most of the tiller.It will probably wind up close to 3/8 thick so you should
have plenty of wood to work with and should make 50 plus with no problem.I keep the belly flat
with just a little chaffer on the edges.There are lots of way to do it but this is how I do it. :)
Hope it helps.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 12:36:32 pm »
When I put reflex into the limbs , do I start at the handle or part way down the limb?
live each day the best you can

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 05:05:53 pm »
What I do is add reflex to the entire length of the bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC