Author Topic: new to primitive archery and need help  (Read 5759 times)

Offline sessopantera

new to primitive archery and need help
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »
I am new at making bows and have attempted 12 so far all unsucessful.  If anybody knows a bowyer in central missouri that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline sailordad

Re: new to primitive archery and need help
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:21:40 pm »
well if youve tried that many, glad you found this place.

ask as many questions as you want,the people here are more than willing to help.
there are lots of very talented folks here,i am not one of them as i am still fairly new,been here about a year.
i have learned alot from the good folks here,we do love pictures they help alot to get the right advise.

do you have any pics you could post of the failed bows?

peace,
                                                                                     tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:27:26 pm »
Boy, talk about STICK-TO-IVENESS,  you get the prize.   

Dang, I'd hate to break twelve in a row.   How are they breaking?  Where?  are you stressing them too early, i.e. before they are planed/filed/scraped and READY to bend? 

hmmm........stick with these guys, ask lots of questions and , yes, we like pics.  It's that or ten thousand more words.  Need info, though: what wood are you using?  length of bows?  pull weight you are aiming for? 

looking forward to getting you out shooting one of yours!!

piper

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 10:42:42 pm »
Like others have said, pictures would help a great deal, and more info in general.
I think Brian (Koan) lives in the area. I'm sure others on here are around there, I just don't know them. ;)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:56:32 am »
well,

i have to say im glad you found this place...  and sooner or later you will be too...  ask questions and read other people's post and look at other's work and tequenics...  like some one told me when first found this place...   " You have the best Wood Bow Makers in the world at your finger tips"
and these guys are allways happy to help you out...
we are all very furtunant to have this place of master bow makers and the knowledge they are sooo willing to share...  i dont think id want to learn anyplace else...
good luck and welcome aboard..

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:59:58 am »
Brian dose live in Missouri, he goes by Koan on here,I just don't know what part,but if he ant close we will be more than glad to help.Just let us know what you have in mind,wood,style,length and such and what you are up to and I am sure someone on here can give some good advice.Pictures
do help.I can tell after 12 you have the drive you just need a little guidance.Look forward
to hearing from you. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:26:32 pm »
I think George broke 14 before he got a shooter. Only 2 more and you will be as good as George! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:30:53 pm »
Welcome to PA, Koan is in Sturgeon, MO and Auggie is in Moberly :)
My address bood may not be as big as eddie's but its getting there :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:37:11 am »
Pat's right, it took me 14 tries over 3 years to get a hunter. So stop whining and make some more shavings. LOL. You'll get it. If I can do it anyone can. Get a nice straight grained red oak board. Go for the 1 x 2's. That will give you 3/4 by 1.5 in. Have fu and enjoy the process. I now. I now. It  can get discouraging. But you already have a prime ingredient of successful bowyers. Perseverance ! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:24:49 pm »
 There is also Kevin Statwick (sgt caveman) in Springfield, Dennis Mount (kayakfisher), Springfield, and Dave Buck in Hot Springs,Ark. if you are down in that end of the state.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sessopantera

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 10:10:43 pm »
To answer some questions....no I can't post pictures I don't have internet,I'm on my phone...I think my biggest problem is tillering, I want desperately to shoot my own bow I rush it at the end stages.  I live near sedalia or versailles or eldon if any of these cities ring a bell.  I am willing to drive as far as it takes. Any suggestions on who to try?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 04:29:20 am »
Hell you are just about Neighbors with Brian (Koan) in Sturgeon....... and Auggie in Moberly ........ and Kevin Statwick (Sgt Kaveman) .....and Dennis Mount (Kayakfisher) in Springfield are just a Hop Skip and a Jump from You too ......so you have all kinds of potential Mentors at your Doorstep
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:33:04 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 06:52:41 pm »
dang,wish i had that many talented bowyers that close to me :-\
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 12:59:27 pm »
IMO the two most important lessons a new bowyer needs to learn are:

1. Get a smooth and consistent thickness taper from the fade (or handle if building a D-bow) to the tips. Once you've established a proper thickness foundation it is easier to use your eye to complete the tillering process.

2. Don't overstress the bow during the tillering process. Only pull the bow far enough to see a potential problem. In many cases you can spot a developing problem just by closely examining the braced profile. If you pull the bow further than you need to, you'll likely damage the wood and exacerbate the problem.

Good luck!
Gordon

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 01:08:18 am »
Sent ya a pm...soon as I get my Momma out of the hospital we'll get ur done...Do you have a stave or a good hardwood board? We'll get a list together of what you need and make it happen. Im only an hour from Sedalia. Mobow is in Marshall also..he is the man behind Mojam, we need to get you there in July..wealth of info there, bring a notebook,lol. Btw, im off work till Jan. 5th so we might could get together purty quick....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....