Author Topic: almost finished  (Read 2416 times)

troutbum76

almost finished
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:37:12 pm »
have been slowed down with christmas, but have just about finished my red oak board bow. cut in the nocks last night and put it on the tillering tree for the first time. bent pretty evenly, just needs to bend some more. i rounded the edges on the back a little which definitely helps the appearance, did this after applying the backing which helped alot. a couple of questions which is supposed to bend more the top or bottom limb and how do determine the length of string i want to string it with if i want a brace height of 6 inches. any and all other advice would be greatly appreciated, i have definitely taken it slower this time and it has made a huge difference in the quality of the work done so far. having some problems with my camera but as soon as get it worked out will post some pictures. have already started roughing out a maple and a poplar board, and started receiving dirty looks from my wife. thanks guys. ;D

Offline Jesse

Re: almost finished
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:03:29 pm »
A lot of people use the weaker limb for the top which is what I do. Look at the string tracking on the handle. if its a little bit to one side but still on the handle you can make that the top limb so the arrow doesnt have to flex as much around the handle. I usually choose which limb will be the top and then just tiller it to be a hair weaker.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:18:21 pm »
A good place to start for string length is 4" shorter than your bow. Or just measure your string that you tillered it with
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:25:45 am »
Trout , don't waist any time on the poplar board. Poplar is at the bottom of the list for bow wood. It can be done and the first bow that I made was poplar because I didn't know any better. I made a shooter and it's still together today but most report dramatic explosions with poplar after a few hundred shots.

troutbum76

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:14:04 pm »
that makes sense the poplar seemed to be as soft as butter. how would it be for making risers. i did some tillering last night got the bow bending with one limb bend just a bit more than the other am going to pickup a string this afternoon and brace the bow for the first time this evening. did my tillering with a para cord tillering string and have done anything but long string tillering.guess i need to go ahead and look into making my own strings