Author Topic: Finishing Tip  (Read 2499 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Finishing Tip
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:49:14 pm »
I have been using that MinWax Wipe-On Poly on some self bows.   Great stuff.   What has made it nicer yet is this:  When the second coat is on and still wet, I have been sanding with a square of 250 grit wet-dry paper, the black stuff.    That makes a sort of "muddy mix" of finish and fine wood dust.  That fills the pores and smoothes it all out.   I've been lightly wiping this mud off after hand-rubbing in what the wood will take.   This seems to bring up a level finish and allows more shine, faster. 

Any other ideas floating around out there? 

piper

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: Finishing Tip
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:24:03 pm »
if using spray poly do a very quick pass before coming back with a longer coat, stopps dripping and makes an even first coat
hope thats the kind of thing you were looking for

Zander

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:31:37 pm »
Zander, I'm pretty easy going.   You could have told us how to finish a plate of fried potatoes and I'd be happy.   

I agree.   I often need to spray high gloss lacquer on guitars and I always "lite coat" the work.....no good having runs and sags whether it is a bow or a Martin guitar. 

piper

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:45:44 pm »
my dad happens to be a luthier as well

Zander

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:06:39 pm »
if you are wondering if your final sanding was good enough, you can put a light coat of dark gel stain on. wipe it on.  wipe it off.  all tool marks will jump out at you like they are on fire.  sand untiil they dissapear and then finish how you please.  surefire tool mark free bow.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 11:22:45 pm »
Here's an old wood worker's trick. I dampen my bow-to-be with a wet paper towel. Let dry. Sand with 220 grit. Continue until the grain is not raised. Let's you see toll marks too. Follow with 400 grit and then 600 grit. La prassa! Smooth as my friend Joe's bald head. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!