Author Topic: Rope foot vice?  (Read 5181 times)

Oengus

Rope foot vice?
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:29:58 pm »
I've seen a few people use them, most recently in the stone age witch hazel build-along. Can someone please tell me how the devil I tie one of them? I have an extremely awkward working space in my garage and I need some way to apply a bit of leverage to my tools when I work on the tips of my bows. Who can help?

Also hi, new member. I've been lurking for a bit and I've been on PaleoPlanet for a while now. Live in South Jersey when I'm not in school in Richmond, VA.

Minuteman

Re: Rope foot vice?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:08:31 pm »
Welcome to the PA board. I can't say I know what one is , if you could show us a pic or provide a link to one I bet we can figure out how to tie it. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:14:11 pm »
Just ask ricktrojanowski (the guy who's doing the build-a-long)....Send him a PM.  I'm sure he'll tell ya how he does it.

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:50:34 pm »
  I good slip knot and then a couple of loop behinds will hold it from slipping. Like when you loop around it and back under itself and then do another one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Oengus

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »
@jack: Was going to ask him but he actually said right underneath the picture that he can't remember how he did it. Figured some other people here might know.

@mullet: Not quite sure I follow you all the way.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:50:45 pm »
Oengus- 
The footvice I am using is a piece of buckskin that is knotted to make two loops. One small loop and one large loop.  I basically lock the stave in the small loop by twisting and getting it to the position I want.  The large loop goes over my foot or knee. Then you shave wood off pulling toward you.  I'll try to get some close pics up soon if you would like.  Jamie showed me how to use it much more effectively, but this is my half a$$ method.
Traverse City, MI

Minuteman

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:37:00 am »
Found the picture Rick.
 Oengus, I think a prussik knot would hold a bow in that fashion quite well. ( Google Prussik Knot) A vice would hold it even better! :D

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 07:32:45 pm »
Found the picture Rick.
 Oengus, I think a prussik knot would hold a bow in that fashion quite well. ( Google Prussik Knot) A vice would hold it even better! :D
You are right about the real vice.   ;D I'll have to check out that knot.
Traverse City, MI