Author Topic: Painless recurve bends  (Read 7267 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: Painless recurve bends
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 08:56:02 pm »
Recurve:  i can bandsaw that stuff all day.......difference in saws and blades. 

I'm still playing with that splinter.   I may glue it again and use that old favorite primitive material "dental floss" as a wrap to hold it all together and then just not do any more tillering adjustments at that spot.  I know, I could make a new bow quicker, but the act of repair and saving this one is probably a good excercise. 

piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 02:47:13 pm »
oh, yeah. well, my saw is junk.  :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 10:36:46 am »
thata awesome piper, is it pretty accurate? from my experiece, even with a form i've had bad luck having both limbs bent the same- looks like it would work real well though- good post man. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 10:49:59 pm »
I have that bow bending pretty nice for one made out of junk wood, in public, while answering questions, then splitting it twice and having to wrap it with dental floss.   I have had it strung up a  dozen times, pulled it as far as feels good and shown it off like a proud papa.  So, I guess I should take some pics and post 'em here. 

As for even-ness, i have spent a lot of time throught the years bending violin, viola, cello, dulcimer and mandolin sides, and didn't have any trouble making the ends of this bow bend the same.   Now, the next stick could be different.....wood is wood. 

But, the process runs slowly and without instant excitement, so more or less bend can be made and propeller pulled out of it as you go. 

piper

Offline Postman

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 10:07:10 pm »
Had more success with this method  today, piper thanx again. Got a little prop twist out just by torquing and clamping at an angle.

Love the craftsmanship in string instruments, but i'm only smart enough to be a drummer ;D  Maybe you could post some of your musical work in "anything else"

After all, There's always room for cello.... ;D

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 04:35:46 pm »
Good thread, Piper.  I will try your method.  I have used a similar method to get rid of a twist in a limb.  I clamp the bow at the handle on a flat surface and let the twisted limb hang out over space with the twist facing up.  Then I clamp an old Jorgensen wood clamp on the tip of the twisted limb and use it as a weight to pull down the twist.  I then heat the limb slowly with a heat gun and watch until the twist is about 1 inch below where I want it and let it cool.  It works every time.  The limb is perfectly straight when it cools down.
Dan