Author Topic: Red Elm Warbow wood?  (Read 6579 times)

Nick

Red Elm Warbow wood?
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:42:41 am »
 I have heard of wych elm warbows but not red elm, and as i just aquired a stave i would like to know if it ca be used and if so should i leave the sapwood on? Here's some pictures:

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq175/Englishwarbowman/RedElmWarbowStave001.jpg

I took these pictures when i got the stave on thursday, and have worked the stave a little since then, things like i took the sapwood down to a growth ring and have started to round off the belly (which i will end up keeping a little square).

Cheers,
Nick
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:22:24 am by Nick »

Offline Asiertxu

Re: Red Elm Warbow wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 05:25:35 pm »
Hi Nick! ;)..

That Red Elm stave looks pretty good to me mate!!

IŽve eard that Red Elm (an American Elm species...) is very good for bow making so IŽd say you sould bring out a nice Warbow from that stave Nick!!..:D..

Just go slowly as is your first bow. Lay out the main profile of your future bow by drawing in directlu over the wood surface with a pencil (Wideness/ thickness frofiles).

Then, you sould be able to reduce at least the main ammount of unnecesry wood to allow the stave to lose some moisture that is still remaining inside it.

After you have done this firt step, IŽd let the wood alone for about one or two weeks indoors. Then you could continue with your work untillfinish it!!.

Keep us posted Nick!!..;):D...

Cheers....

Asier. 
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline anglobow

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:35:39 am »
Yes, you can leave the sapwood on. Most just remove the bark and use the first layer of sapwood as back. There probably isn't a whole lot of difference between red (slippery) elm and wych elm. I've read that they are very similar species and have similar density, but I think that elm can varry in density according to growing conditions. Usually, wide growth rings are prefferable with hardwoods. Many people have made good longbows with elm. It is often advised to make the bow a little longer/wider/flatter when using a wood other than osage or yew. I would recomend that you heat treat the belly as well, elm seems to really shine when tempered.

Neil 

Nick

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 01:10:07 pm »
Thanks for the info

Nick

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:33:57 am »
I've brought one end to a fine-(ish) taper of about 3/4", i'll put some more pictures up soon.