Author Topic: Tillering Boards  (Read 3148 times)

kylos

Tillering Boards
« on: December 01, 2008, 06:03:27 pm »
I would like to make a tillering board, and was wondering if there is a specific distance between the "valley" of the top notch (where the bow handle sits) and the first of my one inch incremented side notches.

Thanks.

Offline Kegan

Re: Tillering Boards
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 06:33:33 pm »
I start mine at about 6 1/2" (which would be about 8" from the back with an 1 1/2" deep handle).

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:34:48 pm »
mine is 6 inches from where the hanlde of the bow sits to the first notch.
however when pulling it on the tiller stick/tree you need to take in account for the thickness of the bow handle area to get a true draw distance.
itleast i always measure draw length from the back of the bow
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:06:42 pm »
Think about making a rope and pulley. They are easier to make, easier on the bow and easier on my head. It's a long, sad story. :) Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/directions.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:19:46 pm »
Howdy kylos,

Great question. 
I just did the research on this a few weeks ago.  (My tillering board is nearly complete.  But, now it's gotten really cold outside, and so I'm keeping busy inside.)

Here's a link that I looked at....

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak6.htm

In this link, the author refers to the term, AMO, which is has to do with industry standards, and a set, standard way of measuring draw length. 
So, according to AMO, we set the zero mark by measuring 1.75 in above the bottom notch on our tillering stick.

eg. So, what I did was measured 4-1/4" down from the bottom of the handle notch to my first string groove.  I then marked that first string groove as 6" (of drew length).

I hope that explains your question.  (And, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

All the best,
Canoe

Copied from AMO Standards Publication 2000yr...

AMO DRAW LENGTH STANDARD
For Manufacturers
Draw length is a specified distance, or the distance at the archer’s full draw, from
the nocking point on the string to the pivot point of the bow grip (or the theoretical
vertical projection of a tangency line to the pivot point parallel to the string)
plus 1 3/4”. Draw length from pivot point shall be designed at DLPP and shall be
called TRUE DRAW LENGTH.
EXAMPLE: 26 1/4” DLPP plus 1 3/4” is the equivalent of 28” draw.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:34:12 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey